Information on Substance Abuse
Substance abuse simply put is a pattern of harmful use of any substance for mood-altering purposes.
Illegal drugs are not the only substances that can be abused:
- Over the counter meducations
Theoretically, almost any substance can be abused.
There are also drugs that can be abused which do not have mood altering or intoxicationg properties.
For many substances, the line between use and abuse is not clear. Is having a couple of drinks every day after work to unwind use or abuse? Is drinking two pots of coffee in the morning to get your day started use or abuse? Generally in these situations, only the individual himself can determine where use ends and abuse begins.
When it comes to illegal substances, society has determined that their use is harmful, and has placed legal prohibitions on their use in order to protect the individual and to protect society from the costs involved with healthcare resources, lost productivity, the spread of diseases, crime and homelessness.
If you or a family member or friend have a problem with drugs or are addicted, you can get help to kick the habit and gain control of your life.
This is how we can help
- A Portland Centre staff member will listen to your problem without making any judgements and discuss your options
- We will seek specialist advice
- If you need extra support to start the get the ball rolling, we will accompany you to your G.P. meetings and appointments
- We will continue to support you throughout your journey for as long as it takes
If you need help, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member.