You might be able to claim Bereavement Allowance if you’re a widow, widower or surviving civil partner between 45 and State Pension age. It is paid to you for up to 52 weeks from the date of death of your husband, wife or civil partner.
The actual amount you may get depends on:
- The overall level of your partner or civil partner’s National Insurance contributions.
- Your age at the time of his or her death (Your age between 45 and 65 at the time of your Spouse / Partner's death, dramatically impacts of the amount you will receive)
How The Portland Centre Can help You
Portland Centre independent benefits/financial advisors will help you to claim by:
- Assisting you to apply
- Checking the amount you are eligible to claim
- Helping you to create a sensible, workable budget to meet your needs
- Assisting you to deal with any debts
- Checking that you are claiming all the benefits which you are eligible for
Portland Centre Support Workers will help you come to terms with your loss by:
- Giving you plenty time to talk about your loss
- Helping you with the 'arrangements'
- Helping you to contact friends and relatives
- Assisting you to contact Insurance Companies
- Ensuring you have enough money to 'live on' whilst the financial arrangements are completed
The Portland Centre Legal Team will help you by:
- Dealing with the Will / Probate etc.
- Helping you to notify the banks to close accounts etc
- Ensuring that Rent Agreements / Mortgages etc. are smoothly transferred
If your husband, wife or civil partner has died you may be able to get Bereavement Payment: a one-off, tax-free, lump-sum payment of £2,000. The Portland Centre Team will assist you to make a claim to receive this benefit.
All Benefits come with a number of 'conditions of eligibility'. To get independent help, information and advice, pop into the Portland Centre and we will be happy to run through all the conditions to make sure you never lose out through not knowing.
If you need help with making sure you get everything you are entitled to, just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.