The Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) says:
- That deliberately withholding information that affects your claim is stealing
- They are targeting benefit thieves!
- They take benefit theft very seriously
- That although the vast majority of people who claim benefits are honest, those who steal benefits are picking the pockets of law-abiding taxpayers
- In 2010-11 benefit thieves stole an estimated £1.2 billion from public funds, that's why we are determined to catch them
They use various methods to find Benefit thieves:
- Fraud taskforces that checks claims
- Hidden cameras and mobile surveillence
- Improved IT, cross-checking bank accounts and credit reference agencies
They are also implementing harsher sanctions and penalties to punish those who cheat the system. ALL GOOD – why should we pay for Benefit thieves?
But what if you have been accused or found guilty and are innocent? What then?
Solicitors cost a lot of money and your benefits have been stopped and you have to make massive repayments. Who can you turn to for justice?
At the Portland Centre, we will do everything we can to help you, if you are innocent or have been naive or have made an honest mistake.
This is how we will try to fight for your right to justice:
- We will listen to your story
- We will ask to see all your documentation
- We will contact the DWP on your behalf to clarify the accusation
- We will apply for an appeal
- We will accompany you to see our Solicitor for some Free Legal Advice
- Our specialist Support Worker will help you build your case, giving you every opportunity to truthfully explain what has happened
- We will attend Tribunals and Hearings with you
The Portland Centre Support Workers will not:
- Let anyone intimidate you
- Judge you
- Breach your confidentiality
- Let you go down without a fight!
- Abandon you
If you are in need of help, just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.