Support and Counselling
Having a special person in our life is a unique and deeply challenging experience. It confronts us with a wide variety of issues. The needs of a special person are often so great and overwhelming that we don’t allow time for ourselves.
Seeing a counsellor can often be one of the most effective ways of helping ourselves and thus our special needs child or adult.
Exploring the thoughts and feelings this situation brings up will help us to find more clarity and peace.
This in turn makes us more creative and effective helpers.
Every situation will be very different and individual and probably very demanding.
Support from a counsellor can make all the difference in how well we handle our situation.
Someone who is outside our life and not personally involved can help us with:
- Finding the strength to cope
- Accepting ourselves with all the different thoughts and feelings that having a special person in our life evokes
- Accepting our child or adult with all their different behaviours
- Facing problems
- Letting go of judgements
- Exploring ways to care for ourselves and other family members, especially siblings
- Seeing things from a different perspective
- Finding out what our special person teaches us
- Finding our own way forward
- Finding practical solutions
- Facing the future
- Keeping hope alive
The Portland Centre can help you access this type of specialised counselling.
Just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.