If you are caring for a child that you are interested in adopting and:
- This child was not placed with you for adoption by a local authority or voluntary adoption agency
- You or the person you are living with and jointly caring for the child with are not the child's parent
You may be considering a "non agency adoption".
You will need to access comprehensive advice and information about how the adoption process might be relevant to the needs of the child and what actions you may need to take.
It can seem overwhelming but we can help you to make contact with the relevant Social Service department, who will happily help and support you.
At the Portland Centre we can help you in various ways:
- We will help you unravel the various information and documents which will be sent to you
- We can accompany you to meetings to discuss the best way forward
- We will discuss the options that are open to you
- We can help you discuss your family situation with your parents, siblings etc. and help them understand what their relationship will be with the child when you become a complete family
- We can help you with the forms
- We will help you prepare for the 'At Home' visit
- We can attend court hearings with you
- We can help you with any Inheritance changes that may need to be made to your will
If you or any member of your family need help with these decisions, just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.