Adopting a Child
Obviously taking over the emotional and financial welfare of a child is a huge decision and one not to be taken lightly.
In Dorset there are no waiting lists, so adoption can happen usually, within a year, but the Adoption and Kinship Social Workers will go at a pace, which is comfortable for you.
The Social Workers will get to know you and your family well and provide a great deal of support to help you make the right decisions, however, at the Portland Centre we can further help you in a number of ways:
- You can talk over your thoughts, wishes and ideas with a Portland Centre Support Worker to make sure this would be right for you and your family
- We can help you apply to enter the Adoption process
- We can help you understand the pack and fill in the forms
- You can talk over every step with our Support Worker
- We will help you sort out what you can offer and what you would like to find in a child to match with your family
- We can celebrate with you, when you have been accepted and you are welcoming a wonderful child into your home
- Although you will receive excellent past adoption support from your Social Worker, we can also help you by talking over the adjustments you all have to make, in the beginning of your new life – sometimes things you might worry about raising with your Social Worker
If you can answer YES to any of the questions listed above and badly need help, just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.