Adopting a Step Child
There are a number of ways that a step parent can acquire parental responsibility for his or her step child, all of which a Portland Centre Support Worker can initially discuss with you.
Adopting a step child is a legal process and has various steps.
It can seem overwhelming but we can help you make contact with the relevant Social Service department, who will happily help and support you.
At the Portland Centre we can help you in various ways:
- We will help you unravel the various information and documents which will be sent to you upon application
- We can accompany you to meetings to discuss the best way forward
- We will discuss the options that are open to you
- We can help you discuss your family situation with your parents, siblings etc. and help them understand what their relationship will be with your step child when you become a complete family
- We can help you with the forms
- We will help you prepare for the 'At Home' visit
- We can attend court hearings with you
- We can help you with any Inheritance changes that may need to be made to your will
If you or any member of your family need help with these decisions, just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.