Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) usually appears in early childhood. It makes it difficult for people to control their responses. These can be wide ranging, from movement to speech to attentiveness. This may be helped by CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) or Behavioural Therapy which can change behavioural patterns.
Are you worried about a child who you think may have ADHD?
Do you not know what to do?
Is your child's behaviour so out of the ordinary that you wonder if it could be ADHD?
Are you at the end of your tether?
At the Portland Centre, we can help you, by:
- We will listen to you, understand and offer you support
- We will assure you that you are not alone and that there are many children who are affected by ADHD
- We will acknowledge that it takes strength to trust someone enough to talk to them about what you are experiencing
- We will give you time to talk, but not push you to go into too much detail if you don't want to
- We will understand that you are in a frightening and very difficult situation
- We will reassure you and help you understand that there is help readily available
- We will support you and encourage you to express your feelings, whatever they are
- We will help you to make decisions about the best way to help your child
- We will offer to go with you to a hospital or to see your GP
- We will help you seek specialist support groups
- Help you explore the available options
- If you and some friends want to start a Support Group for the families affected by ADHD, we can help you make it work and offer free use of our large meeting room
Just call us on 01305 824333 or email us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre Staff member, to receive immediate assistance.
- Everything you tell us is confidential
- We always will be discreet and only call you at pre-arranged times
- We will never judge you or any member of your family
- We will never push you to take steps you are not ready for
- We will find as much specialist help and information for you as possible