Staying In Your Own Home
Eveyone hopes that as we grow older we will be able to continue to live as independently as possible. However, any one of us may need support to stay in our own home.
At the Portland Centre we can offer advice and tips on how to stay in your own home, even though you may need to make some changes. You can seek assistance from Social services, however, it is always a good thing to know what the 'questions' are, in order to find the answers.
Knowledge is power
When it is becoming more and more difficult to manage, there is a range of support which is available:
- Do you need help with cleaning?
- Would it help to have a bath rail fitted?
- Do you need some adaptations to be made to your home to help you get about easier?
- Do you need help to do some shopping?
- Do you worry about slips and falls?
- Would you like to go to a Day Care Centre to make new friends but need help to find out how, where and when?
- Could you need a Carer?
- Are you worried about how to find a kind, honest and hard-working Carer?
- Are you worried about how you will pay for all of this help?
- Would you like to find out if you could be entitled to financial help to maintain your own home?
- You may be worrying about whether you are getting all the income or benefits that you are entitled to
Even though these problems may seem overwhelming, at the Portland Centre we can help you find the answers.
This is how the Portland Centre can help:
- A Portland Centre staff member will listen to your needs and worries and discuss your options
- We will seek specialist advice
- We will support you throughout your journey to as much independence as possible
- If you need extra support we can accompany you to meetings and appointments with Social Services etc.
- We will continue to assist you by helping you follow the advice you have received and support you as much as you need
- How to Complain
If you want to stay at home, you will need to know about:
- Health and Social Care Assessments
- What care in your own home actually means
- What steps could be taken towards making your home easier to live in
- What to do about employing a Carer or Personal Assistant
- How to get support with shopping
- Information on how to get home deliveries
- Information on what support is available when you are caring for someone
- Is there any telephone support service available and what is it?
- How do you keep mobile and prevent falls?
- Are you potentially at risk?
- How do you make falls as preventable as possible?
- What happens when you need a Health and Social Care Assessment
- What is a Care Plan and do you need one?
- Help you find any services or support which you may be entitled to
- Help you find out about Direct Payments
At the Portland Centre we will help you with these and any other matters.
Seeking advice and information before you start searching for your a Care Home is a great idea. At the Portland Centre we can save you time and money by guiding you through the choices that are available to you.
If you want to talk to us, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance.