Homes in serious disrepair or in need of major adaptations can have an impact on home owners' or tenants' health and welfare. You may be eligible for a grant or a loan to help pay for repairs and adaptations.
Weymouth and Portland Borough Council have issued a Housing Strategy some of which is still in 'Draft' form.
There are limited Grants and Loans available which people with Special Needs or the Elderly can apply for, to enable them to remain independent in their own home.
The Portland Centre Specialist Housing Team will help you to:
- Contact The Borough Council to find out if you can apply for a grant
- We will help you with application forms and make sure you include all supporting documents
- A Portland Centre Support Work can accompany you to meetings etc. if necessary
- We will ensure that the Borough sends you copies of the very important 'Terms and Conditions' which will have an impact upon your application
- We will arrange for you to meet with the Citizen's Advice Bureau at the Portland Centre, who will also advise and guide you through the process
- We will help to clarify the rules concerning getting help with home improvements if you live in rented accommodation
- We will also make suggestions about contacting Home Improvement Agencies to inquire whether you are eligible to apply for assistance
The Portland Centre has been helping people just like you for over 18 years. We rarely come across a situation which we have not dealt with in the past.
We have Teams of Experts, Specialists and Support Workers who will help, guide, advise and inform you of your right, your eligibilities and your prospects.
Our Workers will treat you with respect, empathy, care, and effectiveness. We will maintain your confidentiality and never judge you.
If you a home owner or tenant who is worried about repossesion and desperately need help, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance and access our free, independent 'Care Home' guide, which includes a checklist of what you should be looking for in a Care Home.