At the Portland Centre we can offer advice and tips on how to buy a house. You will, of course use a Building Soceity or Bank loan and you will probably use an Estate Agent to find your home. However, it is always a good thing to know what the 'questions' are. Knowledge is power.
Buying or selling a home, normally takes 2 to 3 months. The process can take longer if you’re part of a chain of buyers and sellers.
There are several steps you’ll need to follow:
- Sellers must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
- If a seller is using an estate agent, potential buyers must make any offers through the agent
- Once a buyer’s offer has been accepted, the seller is responsible for drawing up a legal contract to transfer ownership
- An offer isn’t legally binding until contracts are exchanged
- Depending on the amount given for property, the buyer may have to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax
The Portland Centre can help you with very useful information that will help you understand just how much you might expect to pay to arrange a Mortgage and all the other fees you will have to pay.
This information is designed to help you budget and not to get very unpleasant surprises which might jeopardize the completion of your purchase.
The Portland Centre 'Buying Your Home Guide' will help you understand:
- Mortgage Arrangement Fee - how much this will cost and is it refundable if it all goes wrong?
- Valuation Fee - how much will this cost and how does this affect the loan?
- Legal Fees - how much will this cost? Do Lenders ever contribute towards fees? How will my choice of Solicitor be affected? Are these fees governed by the purchase price?
- Stamp Duty - What is this? Will it have a cost? How much will it be?
- Surveys - Why should I have a survey? How much will it cost? Will I only need one survey?
- Removal Costs - Do I need to hire a Removal firm? How can I choose one? How much will it cost? Are there alternatives?
- House Repairs - Why should I worry about this? How will this impact upon my budget?
- Furniture and Extras - What? Why do I need to budget for this? What do you think you need? What could you live without?
Seeking advice and information before you start searching for your 'dream home' is a great idea. At the Portland Centre we can save you time and money by guiding you through the process which is rated as the most stressful life event people will undertake, rated above divorce, bereavement and serious debt.
If you want to talk to us, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance.