"Free advice, information, support, guidance and counselling for Portlanders"

Tel: 01305 824333

Moving Home

Help with moving home

Moving elderly family and friends requires very careful planning and consideration. At the Portland Centre we have some Advice and tips to smooth the way.

It can be hard work and very stressful at the best of times but for people who are getting on in years who are perhaps not as fit and agile as they were, it’s likely to be even harder, and they will need a lot of help.

This information will help you consider the options available so that you can make a decision about moving home.

There are many reasons why people move, but it is important that you think carefully about what your needs, are both now and for the future, including:

If you are renting, you could ask your landlord about a transfer to a property more suitable for your needs.

These are some of the choices available if you are thinking of moving:

Alternative Owner-Occupied or Private Rented Accommodation (often known as retirement housing)

Flats and bungalows designed for older people may be available to buy or rent privately. These are advertised in local newspapers and estate agents. They usually have an emergency alarm system, which may be a push-button pendant, pull cords or an emergency telephone, or a combination of these. The services offered depend on where you live.

Social and Affordable Housing (often known as Council or Housing Association housing)

If you would like more information on applying for Social Housing please see useful links. Your housing needs will be assessed to decide what type of property you qualify for. Your support needs will also be assessed to work out what help you need. Adult Social Care Services (formerly Social Services) will assess any extra support needs you may have. You may have to pay for this support.

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing is usually a group of self-contained flats or bungalows with a Scheme Manager on the premises or nearby and 24-hour support from a phone system, pendant, or pull-cord (or both). It is available for people who are mostly independent, although if you need extra care and support with everyday jobs, this can be arranged through Adult Social Care Services. To apply for sheltered housing, you will need to fill in a Housing application form, please see related documents. Every sheltered housing unit:

Most groups of dwellings have a visiting or resident Scheme Manager and communal areas where you can meet your neighbours and friends. Organised activities, visiting services, and support with everyday living may be available depending on your circumstances, although you may have to pay for these.

Care Homes providing personal and nursing care

You can move to a care home when you can no longer live at home. Care homes can be provided by the council, voluntary/charitable organisations or privately owned. All registered care homes are strictly regulated by the Commission of Social Care Inspection. Adult social care services can give you a list of all care homes in the area and advice on possible help towards the costs.

You may find that they fuss (and drive you mad!). Here are the Portland Centre's top tips for remaining sane and still be good friends:

What next?

If you want to talk to us, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance.