If you want to rent a flat, house or a room, you may have to do this through a letting agent.
Letting agents will often charge fees for things like carrying out credit checks or preparing a tenancy agreement.
At the Portland Centre we can help you:
- Make sure you know what fees will be charged before you sign an agreement with a letting agency
- Understand what letting agents should do for tenants and landlords
- Understand the differences between letting agents and landlords
- Choose a suitable and ethical letting agent
- Register with a letting agent
- Be aware of the checks that letting agents should do on tenants
- Understand what fees and charges that letting agents can legally make
- Understand why and how Letting agent make inspections of your home
- Understand what letting agents fees and tenancy deposits you will need to find
- Offer access to the Credit Union for Savings and Loans (which is also available at the Portland Centre)
- Make a checklist of the questions to ask a letting agent
- What to do if repairs are needed to a property that you want to rent before you move in?
- Who will be responsible for repairs in your new home?
- Problems that might come up with letting agents
This is how the Portland Centre can help you
- A Portland Centre staff member will listen to your needs and discuss your options
- If necessary we will seek specialist housing advice
- We will accompany you to meetings and appointments
- Our Debt Advisor will work with you to create a Financial statement to help you deal with rent arrears
If you need help, information or advice on any matter including Letting Agents in our area, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance and access our free, independent 'Care Home' guide, which includes a checklist of what you should be looking for in a Care Home.