If you are finding it more difficult to manage tasks like washing, dressing and feeding yourself, you will of course, contact social services. They are listed in the phone book under the name of your council. They can provide home carers and other support.
Depending on your income and any assets you have, our local councils will expect you to make a contribution towards the cost of your care at home. However, don't let this put you off asking in the first place.
At the Portland Centre we can help you find some Help at Home by:
- Speaking to Social Services on your behalf
- Helping you to get together all the paperwork you are going to need to show Social Services to verify your income and assets
- Help you to draw up a list of your needs and difficulties, being as specific as possible
- Help you with any forms that need to be completed
- Portland Centre Support Workers could be available to make a home visit which would coincide with the Social Services visit to discuss your situation
- We will help you navigate any assessment of your needs, your assets and ability to pay
- Our expert team will help you to understand all terms and conditions
- We will challenge on your behalf any wrongful decisions
You will never be alone, whilst the Portland Centre is open.
At the Portland Centre you will find that:
- A Portland Centre staff member will listen to your problem and discuss your options
- We will seek specialist advice if necessary
- If you need extra support, we will accompany and support you with meetings and appointments
- We will not think you are a terrible or weak person because you are feeling the strain
- Everything you tell us is absolutely confidential, even if you know one of our Workers
- We will continue to support you throughout the journey to regain control of your life
- A warm welcome, where you will be treated with empathy, caring, understanding, effective professionalism and on-going support
If you want to talk to us, just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance.