Volunteering at the Portland Centre Office
We need dedicated Volunteers to help man the Portland Centre Office.
The Portland Centre is a 'One-Stop-Shop', based in Fortuneswell. We have been working to provide information, advice, guidance, support and counseling for 18 years. We respond to 6,000 client contacts every year, either in person, on the phone or by email.
People turn to the Centre for many reasons:
- Information and advice, which is always easy to access. We have files of our accrued knowledge, we use Google or we turn to an organisation or specialist who will supply a simple answer.
- People who need weekly assistance to use the Internet to seek employment
- People who wish to access one of the many services we have on offer each week, for which we generally have to make appointments
- People who have make a 'one off' visit, who are immediately satisfied
However we also deal with serious, complicated and life changing problems:
- People who are in serious debt
- People who are seeking access to their children
- People who are deeply into substance abuse who are seeking a life changing resolution
- People who are bereaved
- People who are lonely
- People who need help with forms, tribunals, legal matters and court appearances
- Men and Women who are bravely trying to survive domestic violence
- People who are panicking, terrified and overwhelmed
- People seeking a new start
At the Portland Centre Office, your duties would be:
Reception / Administration
- Warmly greeting our clients who come into the Portland Centre
- Effectively answering the telephone
- Carefully and empathically listening to initial enquiries
- Deciding what is the next step/who the client needs to meet
- Making appointments
- Keeping the client log up to date
- Helping clients to complete a Portland Centre 'Client record form.'
- Giving simple information using Portland Centre information resources
If this sounds interesting and fulfilling come and talk to us.
We are also always happy to find a Volunteer who has specialist knowledge and skills, who can either be trained to join our specialist teams or who can with help and support from the Portland Centre Manager, offer an afternoon or evening support or activity group.
It is very important to us to find the right person for the right job, that way people feel fulfilled, happy and stay with us for years. Our longest serving Volunteer has been coming to 'work' for 17 years and she is still going strong.
Some Volunteers stay for a limited period in order to gain experience, new skills and a reliable reference to enable job seeking, others stay for many years – the choice is yours.
This is how the Portland Centre can help find the right volunteering to suit you:
- Our staff will initially discuss your skills, experience and wishes with you
- We will offer suggestions, one of which may be working in our own organisation
- We will discuss the options that are available on the Island and signpost you to relevant organisations
- We will arrange meetings with Voluntary organisations and can accompany you if appropriate
If this type of Volunteering sounds interesting to you then contact Gill on 824333 or by email and we will be contacting you as soon as possible.