If you are interested in volunteering a few hours a week, you have a choice. You could choose to volunteer at The Portland Centre or we can help you find volunteering opportunities with other organisations.
Can you answer YES to any of these statements?
- Are you considering volunteering, but do not know how to go about it?
- Are you unsure what in available on the Island?
- Are you seeking to do some good within your community, now that you have some free time?
- Are hoping to gain some experience which can be presented to Employers as evidence of skill?
- Do you have a specialist skill?
- Are you lonely/bored?
- Do you have special needs?
Volunteers tend to fall into general categories: People who for whatever reason, do not work. Sometimes they wish to:
- Use up time which is now spare and rather boring – there is only so much daytime TV anyone can stand!
- People who have finished working and now wish to 'pay back' into the community, using their valuable skills and experience
- Older folk who believe no-one will want them (our oldest volunteer is 90 years young!)
- People who are seeking employment and wish to upgrade their skills, gain experience and earn a good reference
- Young people who have never found employment, so need some relevant, solid, experience, a good reference and help with jobseeking, C.V.'s and application forms
- People who are new to the area and want to use volunteering as a vehicle to making new friends
- People who truly believe no-one will want them and so need some success to boost their self-esteem
Come and talk to us.
This is how the Portland Centre can help
- Our staff will initially discuss your skills, experience and wishes with you
- We will discuss the options that are available on the Island and signpost you to relevant organisations
- We will arrange meetings with voluntary organisations and can accompany you if appropriate
If you are looking for a volunteering opportunity then contact Gill on 824333 or by email and we will contact you as soon as possible.