Sexual abuse is any sort of non-consensual sexual contact.
Sexual abuse can happen to men, women or children of any age, class, profession, race, nationality, gender, race or sexual orientation.
Sexual abuse can include:
- Derogatory name calling
- Refusal to use contraception
- Deliberately causing unwanted physical pain during sex
- Deliberately passing on sexual diseases or infections
- Using objects, toys, or other items (even baby oil or lubricants) without consent and to cause pain or humiliation
- Making someone perform sex in an unnatural, perverted or any manner in which they feel physically or mentally sad, uncomfortable or diminished
Child Sexual Abuse
Child sexual abuse is "any sexual act with a child, performed by an adult or an older child."
Child sexual abuse could include a number of acts, including but not limited to:
- Sexual touching of any part of the body, clothed or unclothed
- Penetrative sex, including penetration of the mouth
- Encouraging a child to engage in sexual activity, including masturbation
- Intentionally engaging in sexual activity in front of a child
- Showing children pornography, or using children to create pornography
- Encouraging a child to engage in prostitution
Symptoms of Child Sexual Abuse
- A noticeable fear of a person or certain places
- Unusual response from the child when asked if he or she was touched
- Unreasonable fear of a physical exam
- Drawings that show sexual acts
- Abrupt changes in behaviour, such as bed-wetting or losing control of his or her bowels
- Sudden awareness of genitals and sexual acts and words
- Attempting to get other children to perform sexual acts
If you or someone you know needs more information or help, come to the Portland Centre, where you will find genuine support to sustain you whilst you regain control of your life.
This is how we can help you
- A Portland Centre staff member will listen to your problem and discuss your options
- We will seek specialist advice
- If you need extra support, we will accompany you to meetings and appointments
- We will continue to support you throughout the journey to regain control of your life
Just call us on 01305 824333 or e-mail us using our contact form or pop in to see a Portland Centre staff member to receive immediate assistance.